Danilo Medina | President
- website: www.ambiente.gob.do
1) When did you join the CCI?
The Dominican Republic joined the CCI on May 29th, 2008
2) Why did your government join the CCI?
To ensure that the efforts that are being done by our country in regard the protection of our marine ecosystem, can be maintain trough time and can also be effective.
3) How is the CCI important to marine and coastal conservation in the Caribbean?
It’s a framework that helps us realize that we are not alone in our efforts to maintain a healthy and safe marine ecosystem. Trough it, we can work together coordinating our actions to maintain our country´s goals and achieve new ones as a region.
4) How has the CCI enhanced conservation in your country (What have you achieved since the CCI was established?)
20% of our country marine area is protected by law since we became members.
5) What are your country's main conservation priority actions under the CCI?
We are working on the characterization of our marine ecosystems and proceeding to the restoration of beaches, wetlands ect., Reforesting with marine species such as mangroves. We are coordinating beach cleanups with other ministries such as the Ministry of Education. We are handling the complaints that are made about damage to our beaches and coasts. We are creating maps and regulations for the coastal and marine areas.
6) How is the CCI approach different from past approaches to marine and coastal conservation?
It’s an effort that includes private sector; therefore they can also be part of this process and assist the government with the execution of policies to ensure that our countries effort can be maintain and can bring results.
7) Who is your CCI focal point?
- name:Dr. Daneris Santana
- title: Deputy Minister for Biodiversity and Protected Areas
- phone: +1 (809) 567-4300 ext. 6380
- name:Ing. Patricia Abreu Fernández
- title: Deputy Minister for International Cooperation
- phone: +1 (809) 567-4300 ext. 6420
- name: Dr. Ydalia Acevedo
- title: Deputy Minister for Coastal and Marine Areas
- phone: +1 (809) 567-4300 ext. 6170